Monday 5 June 2017

Run for the Hills, Stride through the Woods and Slateman!

Julia and Rachel admiring the view of Combs Moss and beyond
Since the Grindleford gallop I have been really busy, here is a (very condensed) update! 

Unfortunately, I came down with tonsilitis before the Thomas Theyer Race and wasn't able to compete which I was so disappointed about, but I did manage to recce the route again on a lovely day with Julia and Rachel the week before, so that helped! 

I am going to be helping the Thomas Theyer charity to set-up pre-entries and hopefully chip timing for next years event, and there will possibly be more races in the pipeline too so watch this space!

MTB Ladies
In March/April I managed to fit in quite a lot of biking, mainly mtb but with some road rides too, our biking groups have been popular and more of us are riding both types of bike now so it's great!  If you are local and fancy joining us (men or ladies welcome!) join us on our WB Biking group which I manage on Facebook.  
Andrea and I on the Gwidir Bach MTB track

Many of us are going to be taking part in the 60 mile Manchester to Blackpool ride on 9th July.  Chris and I are raising money for an 8 year old local lad called Harrison Fox, he suffers with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, a genetic disorder which causes the muscles to deteriorate and is ultimately life shortening. If you would like to sponsor us, the funds will go towards taking Harrison to Disneyland, whilst he can still walk, you can donate here.

Hilarious photo - We tried to move away
 from the "full of faces" selfie with this shot.
Totally failed and got half bodies and sky.
Back in March, I applied through Derbyshire Sport's #thisgirlcancoach campaign and was successful in securing funding to do a fell running leadership course,  I did the Fell LiRF (Leader in Running Fitness) course in April at Longshaw and really enjoyed it.

As part of my agreement with Derbyshire Sport I had to do 30 hours of teaching (voluntarily) before mid-June in order to keep the funding.  So basically I am now qualified and insured through the Fell Runners Association and UKA to lead running groups for anyone over the age of 14 years.  

I have already completed my hours through doing three "Run for the Hill's" beginners groups and one advanced group per week, and taken two ladies to their first fell races.  
Andrea and I in training for the Manchester to Blackpool
in our Team Skoda jerseys! #allthegear

It has been an incredibly rewarding experience helping ladies who have never run before, and those who have, but not for a long time and I can't wait to run with them at Lyme Park parkrun in the very near future, when they are all ready.  

I am aiming to do my Fell Coach in Running Fitness course next year, which would mean I could train and support any type of runner - up to ultra distances. I am really interested in learning more!

Races-wise, I haven't done many recently but I managed the mid-week "Stride through the Woods" race in Hyde which was a bit of a mix of everything, and only 5km.  I was 7th Lady out of 71, 2nd in the Female category, in a time of 24:30, not really anything to write home about but I enjoyed it.  

Looking happy after Shining Torr
Me striding through the woods
A group of us did Shining Tor Fell Race, a 10km run from Errwood reservoir in the Goyt Valley, up to the trig point at Shining Tor, then back via Pyms Chair down The Street to the finish at the sailing club.  I ran with Julia, it was her first ever fell race.  She did so well, I was very proud of her!

Julia and I during the Shining Tor Fell Race,
Julia maybe not loving me at that moment...
I also went and ran the Rainow 5 fell race, I didn't get a PB but I was only around 1 minute slower than last year so call me consistent if nothing else!  It felt good so I was only a bit disappointed.  I got a time of 46:02, 20th out of 70 ladies, 106th out of 210 overall.  The route is really good with a tough scramble up to White Nancy and a rewarding view of Manchester and beyond from the ridge.  
My hideous psoriasis

Following my throat infection, I broke out in Guttate Psoriasis, a skin disease I have suffered from before.  Basically, the strep throat infection I suffer with triggers an immune response which attacks my skin cells.  It looks horrible and takes ages to go, so if you see me with very spotty legs, thats why!  It doesnt really bother me, I just try to get as much sunlight to them as possible as that is the best way to clear it up.  

Girl Power at Slateman
 On the 21st May, I competed as part of a female team in the Slateman standard distance triathlon alongside my friends Estelle and Anna.  

Anna, our swimmer, comes from Llanberis where the Slateman event takes place and has years of experience swimming in Lake Padarn.  

The location is simply stunning, nestled at the base of Mount Snowdon, and I was lucky enough to complete the 30 mile cycle route which wound its way up the famous Pen Y Pass and then along the A5 towards Bethesda before looping back towards Llanberis.  

At Nant Perys heading towards Pen Y Pass
Team High Peaky Blinders
Estelle was our runner and tackled the tricky 11km run up the slate quarries and into the woods beyond before dropping back down to the finish line where she was supported by lots of family and friends - including Anna and I.  

Overall we were second all female team (out of three), and we were pleased with our times.  Anna and Estelle both did amazingly, and I was happy to just crape under 2 hours for the bike section.  

We were there for the fun and the experience and I think we all thoroughly enjoyed it - so much so that we are all talking about doing it all again next year!  
Coming into T2 at Slateman
Looking forward, I have Castleton, Grindleford, Blackamoor, Lyme Park and Hope Wakes fell races in the coming weeks, then the Manchester to Blackpool ride and the Hathersage Hilly Triathlon a couple of weeks later.

My swimming has taken a literal dive as I have injured my shoulder.  Around 10 weeks ago I noticed it bothering me after long front crawl sessions.  Since then it has been terrible every time I lift any weight or swim.  

I am seeing the doctor this week to try and get a scan on it as its not something that physio is helping with, after trying resistance band exercises and rest.  

It might be a slow swim at Hathersage, which would be really disappointing as I felt I was really improving my pace in front crawl.  

On a happier note I have finally updated my blog, other exciting news is that I am being published!  I have an article in the pipeline so watch this space!

Happy Running!
TLF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.