Wednesday 2 March 2016

An Expected parkrun...

I'm coming for you!!!
Saturday 27th February 2016 was my first race of the Goyt Valley Striders Championships season.  

We had to complete Woodbank parkrun - in Stockport, in as fast a time possible.  The best time set in February would count and as I could only make one, today was the day!

I was feeling quite calm about it on Friday, and thinking I would just do my best and not worry too much as I haven't been doing any tempo (speed) training recently (except the York parkrun).  

This week, I have exercised  more than normal as I have got my new road bike, so as a result have done two bike sessions and two run sessions.  

Usually, I do suffer a bit from pre-race nerves and this morning I did the usual 10 trips to the loo before leaving then needing to go again on arrival!  I think it's the bodies way of getting everything out and letting the adrenaline take over!  I was really glad they had toilets!

The course was really unusual in that you start by running a full lap of the Stockport Harriers athletics track.  After the lap of the track, (which makes you feel like spontaneous sprinting!) you enter Woodbank Park and complete 2 laps of paths in Woodbank and Vernon Parks.  The course feels quite short to run, as the lap of the track is a bit of a novelty and the laps in the parks feel quite short.  

There is a quick downhill section with a sharp left turn which leads uphill to a cobbled area.  The hill is surprisingly steep and by the top I had "jelly legs" both times!  There were friendly marshals at key points and it was easy to find the way with all the clear signage.  

I paced myself at the start and was aiming for 4 minute 30 second kilometres.  My friend and fellow Strider Sally, ran with me and we were quite comfortable for the first kilometre or so. We stayed together most of the way with me leading for a while and Sally overtaking me at about the 4.5k mark (which seems to be a pattern!)

I had resigned myself to Sally beating me but the finish came quite quickly and in my usual trademark style I went for a good sprint finish, passing Sally and a man right at the end.  I was absolutely knackered at the end and had to sit down as I felt sick from the exertion!
Sprinting for home!

There was a photographer at the finish which turned out to be a very good thing as there was a big problem with the results and most positions from 30th onwards were incorrect. In the end, with help from everyone and the photos, they managed to get the results looking more accurate!  


The Legendary Ron Hill

I was pleased to be 3rd lady out of 58, and 36th out of 155 runners overall in a new PB time of 23:04.  I had hoped to crack the 22 minute barrier, and according to my Garmin I did, but officially I still have to wait another day for that acolade!

It was a good day for the Goyt valley Striders as we were out in force and came home with 1st and 3rd man and 1st and 3rd lady finisher titles!

In the GVS championships I got 59 points for second place, not a bad start to the season.  Next Sunday (6th March) is Langsett 10k - another of the Striders Championship races.  

After the run we were lucky enough to see Ron Hill finishing and we went over to say "Hi", how very inspiring to see a man in his late 70's still enjoying running everyday after all the years and years of training and racing he has achieved.  Another great advert for parkrun! 


Smiling because I've finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.